We are in contact with our guides in Haiti on an almost daily basis and they are coping as best they could in these trying circumstances. TWA is sending payment to our guides as a bonus that is almost an equivalent amount to their salaries as guides every May.
We have not excluded our yearly trip for this year. We are still planning on traveling to Haiti to continue our efforts there hopefully before the end of the summer. So if you are still interested in traveling with us, please let us know so that I can keep you updated.
Here is our new guidelines for our upcoming trip with respect to Covid 19 measurements:
- Do you have any of the following symptoms:
- Fever greater than 38C/100F
- New or worsening coughs or difficulty breathing/shortness of breath
- New general flu-like symptoms
- New chills or shakes
- New unexplained feeling or malaise, confusion, or loss of consciousness
- New loss or change in ability to taste or smell
- Chest pain
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Have you travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days? (Before travelling with us to Haiti)
- Have you had close unprotected contact with a probable or confirmed COVID-19 case?
- Have you had close unprotected contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who has been outside of Canada in the last 14 days?
- Social distancing when feasible
- Wearing masks when possible
- Keeping all surfaces clean in rooms and common areas
- Everyone is responsible in providing their own personal protection equipment (hand sanitizer, masks, disinfectants etc)
- Handwashing or using hand sanitizer frequently
- Reduced physical paperwork, more digital paperwork
- Updates to be provided via email or telephone
8. We have purchased a touchless thermometer to do daily temperature checks if necessary
Hoping to continue our efforts in Haiti soon! Please check back for more updates.
During this difficult time, we wanted to thank those who are the front line keeping the world going and those who are staying home and helping keep the rest of us safe. Stay hopeful and keep looking up.
During this time of isolation, check in with your loved ones over the phone. Even though we are apart we are never truly alone.
Finally, due to current travel restrictions, the May 2020 Haiti trip may be postponed, but we won’t know until at least the end of April. Things are changing every day.
And don’t forget, in helping other we help ourselves!!
Peace and Love,
Third World Awareness
Haiti currently has 0 reported cases of COVID-19, and the number of cases in other Caribbean countries is very low. The May 2020 annual trip is still scheduled in spite of the virus. Much like many other viruses, it doesn’t spread well in heat, hence why it likely hasn’t reached Haiti yet as it is a warm country. There have also been no reported fatalities in the Caribbean from the virus.
The United States still has travel warnings at Level 4 for Haiti, however these have been in place for a long time and have nothing to do with the virus. This travel warning means that there are not a lot of people travelling to Haiti in the first place, and the chances of COVID-19 reaching Haiti are currently low.
On the plus side, flight prices have gone down due to virus and current worldwide travel restrictions– American Airlines has it at $686 round trip.
For more information or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact Bridget.